Monday, March 23, 2009

Canadian Hip-Hop History: Part 2

The next song I can really remember from my very early days of watching Muchmusic is Dream Warriors' - My Definition of a Boombastic Jazz Style. This was never one of my favorites, but it was one of the first, so it gets a mention. Check the video here.

The next phase of my devoted hip hop listening was heavily influenced by Reggae and for a long time the only thing I wanted was to visit Jamaica, I was obsessed with the country for a few years.
Snow, when I was 10/11 years old that word meant a lot more to me than just the shitty white stuff that covers the ground for half the year. Informer had me hooked from the second I heard it. Before the video came out, muchmusic had Snow do the song live in a gondola going up some mountain. I'm pretty sure I taped that and wore out the vhs before I ever got my hands on the full album, which was also a tape. There were a bunch of songs on that tape that I loved: Lonely Monday Morning, Creative Child, Lady With the Red Dress but none got anywhere near as popular as Informer.

The next song was Raggadeath's - One Life. This song was actually very important in my musical evolution as it was one of the first times I was exposed to a heavier sound, which would get heavier and more brutal as I got older. I remember the video for the song featuring snowboarding and thats what initially got me interested in the song. I vividly remember asking my mom to buy the One Life cd for me, but as soon as she saw that the band name had "death" in it it was a no go. Could that be why I'm so into death metal now? This isn't the actual video, I couldn't find it, but check out the song anyways.

No comments: